Monday, January 1, 2007

Lighten Up in 2007


Today I spent several hours sorting through my clothes, organizing closets, and getting things ready to take to the Salvation Army. I want to lighten my load this year, in all areas of my life. And as a Feng Shui practitioner, I obviously have a strong belief that within my very own home lies a powerful tool, and lightening up at home is the perfect symbol and catalyst to make some pretty profound and spectacular changes.

After looking around today, it astounds me how much "stuff" I've collected over this past year. It seems as if every time I turn around more and more things are coming INTO my home, but rarely are equal amounts LEAVING. I've definitely seen a direct correlation between how much I own, and how much leisure time I have. It's seeming more and more as if my things are owning me, instead of the other way around.

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about where I want my life to go these coming years. I love to imagine what kind of space the "future me" would like to have... How many clothes would she hold onto? How would her filing cabinets be organized? How would she need her junk drawer to feel? How would her front hall closet be streamlined to allow her the structure and beauty to carry her forward?

This forward-thinking mentality is an important key to my own personal Feng Shui. I've reaped huge benefits from having my home be a step or two (or three!) ahead of me, so that I'm constantly being inspired forward into my future. With the habits that we all have ingrained into our daily thinking, activities and environment, it can be challenging to make lasting changes. And if we happen to be experiencing (or simply just desiring) great changes in our lives, but our spaces still speak to who we WERE, then very likely our homes can slowly but surely pull us back to exactly where we were before our brave changes or hopes were made.

Cleaning and clearing. It's a simple thing, but a powerful thing none-the-less. And we all know that changes, especially to our belief systems, can be challenging. So why not start instead by clearing out a closet instead? Why not throw out things you haven't used in over a year or two? Why not create a stunningly beautiful junk drawer? Worst-case, you've at least surrounded yourself with a bit more beauty. And best-case, you've given yourself a wonderful gift and lightened your load just a little bit more...

When we lighten our loads, the greater our wings can spread. And the higher we can fly...

Ok, are you ready? It's time for lift-off!

© 2007 Stephanie McWilliams

No comments: