Monday, November 19, 2007

FENG SHUI Q&A: Colors and the Feng Shui Floor Plan


QUESTION
Terri writes: "Will the house look garish if you use all the colors in the guas?"

ANSWER
Stephanie: Well, it sure could! I like that you asked this question, and this is often a confusing subject. Yes, if you painted each of the 9 areas of the floor plan a different color, it could easily look more like a circus than a home. Yes, there are colors and shapes and objects that generally apply to each area of the feng shui floor plan (or "bagua" map). And yes, they an be nice additions at times when you're wanting to make a shift to specific areas of the map. But since we're all different people, with very different personalities, paths and life experiences, it wouldn't make sense for everyone to paint their wealth area purple, or paint their Relationship area pink. This is where things can get a bit tricky in terms of arranging and designing your own space.

There are many factors that come into play when choosing colors for a person's home. When working with clients, I ask myself where I sense the person out of balance, and what colors would help to move them forward to the life they internally long for. I also take a look at the structure of the home, and see which areas are needing a bit of a kick. Using the feng shui floor plan is actually down on my list of important things to consider when applying feng shui to a space, or selecting colors. My biggest focus is who you are, where you're at, and where you're hoping to be in the next few years.

So what do you do what that information? Well, you may be even more confused now that you were before in terms of selecting colors for your home. Other than calling me for a phone, virtual or in-person consultation (which I obviously would recommend first), try tuning in with a journal and asking yourself the following questions:

• What colors am I drawn to and use regularly in my home's design? (often times this is the color that is unconsciously holding you back or keeping you stuck - we gravitate toward what's familiar, and not what will inspire growth & change)

• Am I needing more energy in the next few years, or am I needing calming, grounding, or healing instead? (Bold, cleaner or brighter colors can evoke energy, muted and neutral tones can provide grounding. Cooler colors can calm, while warmer colors can heat things up. Try to select colors that speak to that inner "knowing" of where your soul longs to travel in the next handful of years).

• Is there an aspect of my personality that is in an extreme state? Either extremely nervous, or bold, or shy, or distracted, etc.? Choosing colors that help elementally dampen down those characteristics and build up other traits can be a big boost too.

• Am I afraid of adding color (or certain colors) to my home? And if so, why? Most homes in America are white, beige or tan. I believe we do this simply out of habit, as well as out of resistance. Colors evoke emotions, so often times we will unconsciously keep color out of our environments due to a fear of change, or a desire to avoid certain emotional issues. But on a deeper soul level, we are here on this planet to do exactly that – to change, to learn and to grow! Color can be the biggest and best way to inspire transformation in our lives, and it's a shame that most of us avoid it.

Please continue to ask questions surrounding color selection, and we can take this discussion deeper as more specific questions are asked.

Happy Painting!!!


Join our mailing list to get more of Stephanie's thoughts sent straight to your inbox:

Name
Email

© 2007 Stephanie McWilliams LLC

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wonderful blog. It's refreshing and uplifting to read about making our homes satisfying for ourselves, not just for the resale value.

I painted my living room dark eggplant and hung gold curtains. I love it. I am always asked: "What about when you sell?" Most people miss the point that I don't care, I'll worry about that when it happens. I want to enjoy my home now even if it isn't appealing to the masses.

Thanks.
Jennifer